Friday, September 19, 2014

Word of the day

Absolutely
Adverb
1 used to emphasize that sth is completely true i.e shows certainty
You are absolutely right.
I have made this absolutely clear.
I am not absolutely certain.

2 absolutely no… , absolutely nothing used to emphasize sth negative
He does absolutely no work.
She wrote absolutely nothing.
There's absolutely nothing more the doctors can do.

3 used with adjectives or verbs that express strong feelings or extreme qualities to mean ‘extremely’
I was absolutely angry with my brother.
She absolutely loves you.
He's an absolutely brilliant cook.

4 Used to emphasize that you agree with sb, or to give sb permission to do sth
‘Will you attend the party tomorrow?’ ‘Absolutely!’
 ‘Can we leave a little early?’ ‘Absolutely!’

5 absolutely not used to emphasize that you strongly disagree with sb, or to refuse permission
‘Is it good?’ ‘No, absolutely not.’

COURTESY : OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER’S DICTIONARY

DISCLAIMER: I have taken all the definitions from OALD as mentioned above. I have edited or added or explained examples to suit the needs and to make the definitions more easy to understand for all the English Learners ( especially  my students ).

No comments:

Post a Comment