Thursday, September 18, 2014

Word of the day

Enough ( can be used as a determiner, a pronoun or an adverb )

As an adverb
word origin
( used after verbs, adjectives and adverbs )

1 to the necessary degree

I hadn't practiced enough for the game.
He's old enough to take his own decisions.
Ram didn't leave early enough.

2 to an acceptable degree, but not to a very great degree
He seemed pleasant enough to me.

Sayings/idioms :

curiously, ˌfunnily, ˌoddly, ˌstrangely, etc. eˈnough
used to show that sth is surprising

Funnily enough, I said the same thing myself only yesterday.

As a determiner
word origin
used before plural or uncountable nouns to mean ‘as many or as much as sb needs or wants’

sufficient

Have you made enough chappatis?
Is there enough space for me?
I didn't have enough clothes for the whole week.

As a Noun

word origin
as many or as much as sb needs or wants

Twenty rupees are enough.
Have you had enough? ( means : Have you eaten enough?)
If enough of the students will be interested, we may organize a trip to Goa.

Sayings/idioms :
eˈnough already ( informal , especially NAmE )
used to say that sth is annoying or boring and that you want it to stop

Enough already, now you please just keep your mouth shut.

eˌnough is eˈnough ( saying ) used when you think that sth should not continue any longer

Enough is enough, I can’t help you anymore.

have had eˈnough (of sth/sb)
used when sth/sb is annoying you and you no longer want to do, have or see it or them

I've had enough of listening to your complaints.
She has had enough of him.
 ( means : now she doesn’t want to see or have a relationship)

COURTESY : OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER’S DICTIONARY

DISCLAIMER: I have taken all the definitions from OALD as mentioned above. I have edited or added or explained examples to suit the needs and to make the definitions more easy to understand for all the English Learners ( especially my students ).

No comments:

Post a Comment