Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Words of the day

Really or Indeed?

Really
Adverb
1 used to say what is actually the fact or the truth about sth
What do you really think about this matter?
Please tell me what really happened.
He  is not really my friend.
I can't believe I am really going to see her.

2 used to emphasize sth you are saying or an opinion you are giving
I want to help, I really do.
Now you really must go home.
I really don't mind.
He really likes you.
I really and truly will work hard this time.

3 used to emphasize an adjective or adverb
a really hot day
I'm really sorry.
She was driving really fast.

4 used, often in negative sentences, to reduce the force of sth you are saying
I don't really agree with you.
It doesn't really matter.
‘Did you enjoy the movie?’ ‘ Not really (= ‘no’ or ‘not very much’) .

5 used to express interest in or surprise at what sb is saying
‘We're going to Japan next month.’ ‘Oh, really?’

  
Indeed

adverb
1 used to emphasize a positive statement or answer
‘Was he very angry?’ ‘Indeed he was.’
‘Do you agree?’ ‘Indeed I do/Yes, indeed.’
‘You said you would help?’ ‘I did indeed—yes.’
It is indeed a great achievement.

2 ( especially BrE ) used after very and an adjective or adverb to emphasize a statement, description, etc.

Thank you very much indeed!
I was very sad indeed to hear of your Uncle’s death.

3 ( formal , especially BrE ) used to add information to a statement
I don't mind at all. Indeed, I would be happy to help.


Note:
Thesaurus

really/very/highly/quite/extremely/so
successful/intelligent/competitive/critical 

really/very/quite/extremely/desperately/so/most
anxious/concerned/disappointed/unhappy/important 

really/very/quite/truly/extremely/desperately/so
sorry

Really, very or so?

Very is the most frequent and most neutral of these words.

Really and so are more informal and can be stronger.

Really and so can be used with both weak and strong adjectives;
Very is not used with strong adjectives:
so/really/very good (= weak)
So/really wonderful (= strong) 
very wonderful ( wrong )

COURTESY : OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER’S DICTIONARY
DISCLAIMER: I have taken all the definitions from OALD as mentioned above. I have edited or added or explained examples to suit the needs and to make the definitions more easy to understand for all the English Learners ( especially my students ).

No comments:

Post a Comment